Home | Download | Install Instructions | FAQ
Welcome to the ever-growing FAQ section of the web site! This is where all the repeat questions go. If they're issues that need to be addressed, please get a hold of Crash Cortez so we can try and engineer some solution. Otherwise, as questions come up we'll add them here.
- Can I add external storage to the ROTT build? Yes you can. Just follow the directions here but do it on your storage medium on the actual ROTT build. If you take one off a Raspberry Pi 3 build and just stick it on the Tinker Board, your RetroPie configuration menus will probably be wrong. So generate off the ROTT build, then fill up your hard drive, USB stick drive, or whatever you got that works!
- Does video out work on the 3.5mm jack like the Raspberry Pi 3s? Nope. Audio only.
- Can I use the GPIO header the same way on the Tinker Board as the Raspberry Pis? For the most part yes. They have a mostly identical layout. While we can't say with 100 percent certainty that a GPIO plug that covers several or all pins on the Tinker Board will work with it like it does with a Pi, it can't hurt to try if you already have the hardware. The big pins you want to watch out for conformity wise are the power pins and the ground pins. More on the GPIO header can be found here. Information on the Raspberry Pi GPIO header can be found here if you want a raw comparison.
- Are you guys affiliated with the RetroPie team, ASUS, or even the ORA RetroPie team? No. With the last example, we have team members that were on ORA RetroPie that are no longer on it but remain friends with members of that team. Thus, the confusion is understandable. While we can't give you your ODROID-XU4 fix, they can. Their web site is here.
- Can you guys get me games or a loaded image with BIOS files and games? No. This is not legal. You have some flexibility in the law on backups of things you own. We can not provide such things. You will either have to accept this or choose to maybe break the law. We hold no responsibility for your choice; we simply provide emulation software.
- Can I use this case on a Tinker Board? Most of the time yes. Watch out for clearance needed for the big heat sink on the Tinker Board (which you should NEVER swap out for smaller Raspberry Pi heat sinks). Also beware of your GPIO needs. See the question above for more on this.
- I know nothing about single board computers and RetroPie. Where do I start? You can start at this site. You'll likely want to read up on ASUS Tinker Board specifications in particular. Also you will want to look over the RetroPie GitHub. Facebook groups can be very helpful. Our Discord is always there. Just Google and learn, but learn from trusted sources.
- What happens the first time I boot my image? The image will auto expand to the filesystem size of your card. If it goes black and acts funny, just let it run. It will take care of itself.
- I got a Tinker Board S card with a built-in eMMc. Can I use it? Yes at your own discretion. We as a team have designed the build for a micro SD card. If you opt out of using the eMMc, make sure your jumper pins on the board are set right prior to just using the micro SD card. As of release 1.0.6s we have started generating an eMMc image. Use at your own risk.
- So, uh, what all emulators are available? As of now, we have 3DO, Amstrad CPC, Arcade, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari 800, Atari Jaguar, Atari Lynx, Commodore 64, Coleco Vision, Daphne, Dreamcast, Final Burn Alpha, Famicom Disk System, Game and Watch, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, Intellivision, various flavors of MAME, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, MSX, Nintendo 64, Neo Geo, Nintendo, Neo Geo Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket Color, MS-DOS, PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16, PSP, Playstation, Sega 32X, Sega CD, Super Nintendo, Vetrex, Virtual Boy, Wonderswan, Wonderswan Color, and ZX Spectrum working out of the box. The higher end systems are a mixed bag but with GPU processing speeds increasing six times after the 1.07b release (as is planned) we expect the higher end systems to work as well as possibly add more.
- Can I use my own splash screen image or video? As of right now that's broken. We'll try to address it.
- Why doesn't this particular system work on the Tinker Board when it does on the Raspberry Pi 3? Because this isn't a Raspberry Pi 3. We're adding more and more as releases come out. We're trying, we really are. Bring up particular emulators to team members so that they can become aware. If you don't tell us, we won't know probably.
- What about networking and connectivity? WiFi and Ethernet work. You can access the "tinkerboard" share on your network, SSH, and SCP into it. So there you have it.
- My ROTT is acting funky. What do I do? First off reflash. That can be an issue. Also make sure you use Class 10 or higher micro SD cards, preferably of Samsung or Sandisk make. Don't go cheap on your card. You will eat crow. Also the possibility of buying a fake card that states it's something like 128GB when it's really only like 16GB is higher as you venture into unmarked territory. Beyond that, if you reflash and the problem persists contact a team member.
- When will the next update be and should I update from the RetroPie script? We don't know when the next release will be until it's released shortly. Sorry. Kind of the nature of the game. We don't recommend you monkey around with your RetroPie script. You might end up breaking something. Just be content.
Home | Download | Install Instructions | FAQ
This web site: http://www.retrotinkerboard.com is in no way affiliated with ASUS or any parent companies or subsidaries. This web site is known to host no illegal software, pirated games, or any other such matter. All work on R.O.T.T. is done for the exclusive benefit of Tinker Board users. How they choose to use this software is in no way encouraged in an illegal manner by the makers of R.O.T.T. or its affiliates.